Thursday, August 12, 2010

"Who's What?"??

You Aren't What You Eat (working title)
_____________________________________

"Who's what?" asked a friend of mine, but not to anybody,
About the scene we made of fake play people at the party.
I took the chance to tell him that that's not how he should think,
That people shouldn't be confused with alcohol they drink.

Because the fair question to ask, of course, isn't "Who's what?" but rather "What's whose?"

He said, "I spend my nights, floating, in a glass of gin."
I said, "Listen friend, it doesn't matter, that means nothing."
People remember clothes you wear or videos they show you,
They might recall the times you share, and even think they know you.

But at the end of this long day, is our question really, "What will we be having tonight?"?

From when you wake in a haze, 'til your daze in the nights,
It's like all that you love are your likes and dislikes.
You can hope the good life goes forever and ever,
You may vomit your laughs, and full-throated "Whatever!"s.

And after enough time has simply passed, you'll forget most of them, and go on that way.

I've wondered too much, about what was whose,
Assessing the damage, examining my shoes.
They're the ones my dad wore when he tried psychedelics,
So it's not like I only care about my own relics.

In fact, convince me why I shouldn't hang on for dear life to all of it.

From the hands that I've shaken and streets that I've crossed,
To the places I loved with the people I've lost,
For the ones in my mind I give most of my time to,
And to most of you, who are somewhere I can't find you:

Thank you for coming, enjoy yourselves, and please remember to remember.

NDW

No comments:

Post a Comment

constant criticism is the only way this works